I've been meaning to give the Hespos.com site a makeover for a while, and I've always wanted to have a blog right on my home page. But what to post first?
I've been a writer for a very long time - as long as I can remember. I've written some very cool stuff, from investigative news stories to humor columns to creative pieces. I've been praised and I've been screamed at.
One of the first times I was screamed at, I learned a valuable lesson about publishing my words - published words have enormous potential to hurt someone. It's the worst feeling in the world when you publish something that hurts someone, intentionally or not.
So I figured my first blog post ought to be about what I'll be blogging and what I won't be blogging...
What you won't see here:
- People who'd prefer to be anonymous being named - I once tried to publish a humor column in my old newspaper about an old roommate, who I named, making a seemingly innocuous comment about how he seemed to subsist entirely on "Ripped Fuel" powder from GNC. I thought this was innocent enough. He said he would have never spoken to me again if I had published it. So names will be changed on occasion, to protect the not-so-innocent.
- Opinions that are going to get me in trouble - Nothing would please me more than to launch into scathing indictments of just about everything in our American society these days. However, there will be folks watching this space who might be inclined to give my company (or my other company) some business, but might be put off by, say, calls to take up arms against the government or whatnot. So I'll need to keep things (relatively) tame for now.
- Details about my business - So many people in the marketing industry need to be skewered. Just not here. I can't tell you how many assholes have called me or e-mailed me at the slightest provocation in my columns in ClickZ and The Online Spin. These assholes usually have corporate counsel salivating next to them, ready to file frivolous lawsuits at the drop of a hat. I'd rather not attract their attention.
- Celebrations of pop culture - I've read so many weblogs that just don't seem to get this. Truth be told, no one gives a shit about what anyone else thinks about Britney, Sex in the City, or Janet's right boob.
What you will read here:
- The usual crap you've come to expect from weblogs - retarded stories, commentary on the detritus scattered all over the web, rants, raves, links to silly flash movies - the works.
Okay, so now that we've covered what will be covered...